Thursday, September 15, 2011

Fruited Rice Pilaf (GF and V)

A few years ago I was waiting in the doctor's office after crunching my wrist on a heavy bag workout.  I saw an advertisement for raisins that had this recipe.  I attempted to dig through my purse for a scrap of paper and a pen, and then attempted to write it down with my hand all swollen and purple.  I'm sure I looked like a freak, but I can't help it. 

Hello. My name is Nanette and I'm addicted to recipes. 

Whew.  Feels good to get that off my chest. Anywho....A super nice nurse stood and grinned at me and then finally came over and offered to make a copy of the recipe.  Actually, she told me I should just rip the page out of the magazine.  But I couldn't do that--it's just wrong.  Then she offered to make a copy.  I still have that copy and have made additional copies for friends. 

I made only a few minor changes to this recipe to make it vegan (like not making it with chicken as the recipe states).  My daycare kids seem to like this one since it is a little on the sweet side.  I love it, but the rest of my family doesn't.  I usually just make a small batch.  It works well as a side dish, but I like to add tofu chunks and make it my main dish.  This is also one of those dishes where I use (gasp!) Minute Rice.  It is quick and easy and I can throw it in a pan and let it cook while I get my daycare kids washed up and ready to eat.


FRUITED BROWN RICE PILAF
2 T. soy sauce
2 T. brown sugar
1/2 t. crushed red pepper flakes
2 c. Minute Rice, brown rice
2 c. veggie broth
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. ginger
1/2 t. coriander (cilantro)
8 oz. dried Fruit Bits
1/2 c. onion, chopped
1/2 c. fresh parsley or 2 T. dried

Put all ingredients EXCEPT rice in a sauce pan and bring to a boil.  Add rice, stir, cover and set heat to medium low.  Cook for 5 minutes.  Turn heat off and let sit 5 minutes more.  Stir before serving.

If using real rice instead of Minute rice, adjust broth to rice ratio and cook according to package directions.

No comments:

Post a Comment