Friday, November 11, 2011

Beanie Weanies (GF and V)

I have no idea how we got on the conversation of Beanie Weanies this morning.  I think it started with weanies and progressed from there to my son asking if we could have Beanie Weanies for lunch.  The other daycare boy at my house said he had no idea what that meant. What kind of kid has never had Beanie Weanies?  I'm going to have a good long talk with that boy's parents.

So it's a kid-friendly pot of Beanie Weanies and Mini Tator Tots for lunch today. My favorite way to eat them is over a hunk of corn bread, but I got out-voted today. I don't really follow a recipe so much as a list of ingredients, so these are approximate amounts.  Taste it and adjust it to your liking.  I would normally put everything in a casserole dish and then bake it slow (or crock pot it).  I mix and match the beans, but this is what I had in the house today.

I hope this takes you back to your childhood!

BEANIE WEANIES
1 large can vegetarian baked beans (I like Bush's)
1 can white beans (cannellinis, navy or butter beans)
1 can green beans and/or yellow wax beans
1/2 white or yellow onion, chopped
2 T. maple syrup
2 T. brown sugar
1-2 T. yellow mustard
(sometimes I add BBQ sauce, too, but my son doesn't like it so I left it out today)
Fresh ground black pepper

3-4 vegan hot dogs (I like Good Dogs, but Smart Dogs are good, too), chopped

Combine it all together in a large pan or soup pot.  Cook on low for about 45 minutes, stirring to make sure sugars don't burn/stick on the bottom.

No comments:

Post a Comment