Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Chickpea (Garbanzo) Salad (GF and V)

I hope you all had a Happy Happy Holiday and continue to enjoy family and good food throughout the season!!! 

Our family got together with my brother's family yesterday afternoon and went to a movie (Adventures of Tin Tin was awesome). We all ate a mountain of popcorn, so we weren't really up for a big supper when we got home.  But about 9:00, my husband and son started poking around the kitchen looking for something a little more substantial than the normal bedtime snack. 
(My son said we needed something that was a mixture of lunch and snack--a "lack" or maybe a "snach."  His words, not mine.  That kid cracks me up.  I can't wait to see the comments on that one!)

ANYWAY, I had been glancing through cookbooks earlier in the day and saw a recipe for Chickpea Salad that was similar to Chicken Salad for sandwiches.  I grabbed a can of chickpeas and just sort of threw in some simple ingredients.  I couldn't believe how good it was.  My son literally licked the bowl clean.  They loved it and we will definitely be adding this simple dish to our regular menu.

Chickpeas and garbanzo beans are the same thing.  They are a little dry and a lot nutty. Because of that nuttiness, you see them a lot on salad bars.  Give them a try next time you see them.  Buy a good brand name if you're buying them canned because the cheaper ones tend to lose some of that great texture.

I made this recipe just like I would have made a chicken salad sandwich a couple years ago with only two minor changes.  I used chickpeas instead of chicken and I used vegan mayo instead of real mayo.  Other than that, feel free to use your favorite version of spices and sauce.  Use it like you would a chicken salad, too.  Serve on bread or toast, in a pita, on greens for a salad, on crackers for an appetizer, etc. etc. etc.

This is the one I made last night.  It took less than 5 minutes from thought to plate.  SUPER SIMPLE.  SUPER FAST.  SUPER CHEAP.  SUPER YUMMY. 

    It's so super it should wear a cape


CHICKPEA SALAD
(Notes: One can of chickpeas makes about 4 pita pocket sandwiches.  These are approximate amounts since I didn't really measure anything.  Taste and adjust to your liking.)

1 can Chickpeas, fork mashed
1/4 c. vegan mayo (Vegenaise)
1-2 t. fresh lemon juice
2 T. celery, finely chopped
2 T. onion, finely chopped
1/2 t. paprika
Sea Salt
Pepper, freshly ground

Mix all together. Best if you refrigerate it for a short while before serving to let the flavors blend.


No comments:

Post a Comment