Tuesday, January 8, 2013

CASHEW CREAM

I've seen all sorts of information for cashew cream as a "staple" of vegan eaters.  I thought maybe I was missing out since I never really ate it and thought I would give it a try.

I've used the cashews in my nacho cheese sauce but hadn't just made cream with them. Well, it turns out it was super simple and super versatile.

As a vegan, we miss out on a lot of those "creamy" foods that are normally made with cow's milk--cheeses and Alfredo sauce and creamy soups. But this cashew cream turned out very creamy, had a great texture, and the flavor can be modified to make whatever you please. 

Today I added Italian seasonings, nutritional yeast and a can of diced tomatoes to make a creamy tomato sauce for some bow tie pasta.

I'm going to test it tonight on my family with some creamy green chili sauce with some Mexican style foods.

As I use it in various recipes I'll post those and link to this.  Give it try. I was very pleasantly surprised!

CASHEW CREAM
In the blender:
1 c. raw cashews, soaked in water in the refrigerator overnight
Just enough cold water to cover them
Blend for about a minute, scrape the sides of the blender and then blend another 2 minutes. My blender made it creamy enough without texture left, but if your blender isn't that powerful you may want to then put the cream through cheesecloth to separate out any nut meal left.
More water will give you thinner cream and less will make it thicker.  

No comments:

Post a Comment