Friday, March 11, 2011

Fast Black Beans and Rice

You know I love to cook.  I love to buy, prep and cook really good food.  But let's face it.  I live in the real world with a real family and a real house.  I have a real job and real commitments that take up my time.  And there are days that I just need to get a healthy meal on the table in under 15 minutes.

Last night was one of those nights.  Sick toddler, grumpy boy with a mountain of homework, husband working on the computer, dog begging to go outside, cat howling for food, laundry piled up and some sort of mysterious sticky goo on the kitchen floor.  (Still not sure what that was.)

Don't be shocked.  And please don't judge me for this very quick and easy meal. (The Minute Rice wasn't even brown--it was white! Gasp!)  Bottom line is it was pretty healthy and my whole family loved it and ate it without argument.  (Well, there was argument but it wasn't about food. That's a whole other blog.)

Obviously, this dish would be better with real beans that had soaked overnight.  It would be great with grilled corn cut fresh off the cob and fresh salsa made from your garden.  But that wasn't gonna happen last night.

Last night's menu was Quick and Easy Black Beans and Rice with Sliced Avocado on top, with Butternut Squash on the side.  The squash was one I had pre-cooked and cubed up.  I took it out of the freezer, and popped it in the microwave for 5 minutes. The whole meal took less than 15 minutes to prep/cook. 

Here's a quick shout-out to my beautiful friends who bring me Mexican Village Hot Sauce Mix. You know who you are.  I fall more and more in love with you every time I eat it! : )

QUICK AND EASY BLACK BEANS AND RICE
2 cups Minute Rice
2 cups water


2 cans black beans (one drained)
1 can corn or 1/2 bag frozen corn
1 small jar your favorite salsa
salt and pepper and your favorite hot sauce/seasoning/jalapenos to taste

Put the water in a pan over high heat to cook the rice according to package directions.  While you wait for that to boil, add the beans, corn, salsa and seasoning to another pot/pan.  Cook over medium-high heat.  Simmer the beans while the rice finishes.  Serve the beans over the rice, slice some fresh avocado on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment