Monday, May 16, 2011

Pancakes times 2, Orange-Almond Sauce, and Zucchini Muffins

I really thought I had posted a recipe for vegan pancakes, but I can't seem to find it.  Anyway, I have here a made from scratch version as well as the Bisquick version. I'm not big on pouring maple syrup on mine, so I like them with jam or fresh fruit.  I'll also share the orange sauce that my kids really like as a special treat.  I served the orange sauce to guests for a brunch and it went over really well--even for the men.


Gracie enjoying the Bisquick version of pancakes.


 VEGAN PANCAKES -- Made from scratch
1 1/4 c. flour (I use half white/half whole-wheat or even just whole-wheat)
2 T. sugar
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 1/2 c. liquid (all water, or a mix of water/soy milk, or almond milk)
1 T. oil

Mix all together and fry like normal pancakes on a non-stick pan sprayed with Pam.

VEGAN PANCAKES -- Easy Bisquick version

2 c. Bisquick (I use the Heart Start Mix)
1 1/4 to 1 1/2 c. Almond Milk
1 t. vanilla or almond extract
1 T. sugar

Mix all together and fry like normal pancakes on a non-stick pan sprayed with Pam.  These sometimes stick a little, so be sure to spray between batches.  My family couldn't tell a difference between these and regular Bisquick pancakes. 

ORANGE-ALMOND SAUCE for PANCAKES
(When I make these I use fresh squeezed orange juice and add the orange zest to the pancakes just to kick 'em up a little.  This is also a good filling for crepes.)

4 T. sugar
2 t. cornstarch
1 1/2 c. orange juice, real juice, no pulp
1 can mandarin oranges, drained well
1 t. almond extract

Place the sugar, cornstarch and orange juice in a sauce pan and whisk until smooth.  Cook and stir over medium heat until thick and bubbly. Cook one minute more.  Then fold in the mandarin oranges and almond extract. 

ZUCCHINI MUFFINS
(These muffins are meant to be a little bland, so if you like them spicier add more cinnamon and possibly some nutmeg or allspice to taste.  Also good with raisins or mini chocolate chips in them for a treat.)

1 c. brown sugar
1/2c. white sugar
2 1/2 c. Whole-Wheat Flour
4 t. baking soda
1 t. baking powder
4 t. cinnamon
2 t. salt
1 c. shredded zucchini (I use two small zucchinis and don't really measure)
1 1/2 c. shredded apple (I use two apples and don't really measure)
1 t. cornstarch dissolved in 3 t. cold water
1 1/4 c. soured soy milk (add 1 T. vinegar to milk and let sit)
1/4 c. oil or applesauce

Mix all dry ingredients in a large bowl.  Mix wet ingredients together and mix into dry just until moistened. Portion into muffin tins sprayed with Pam or use paper liners.  Cook full size muffins at 375 degrees for about 20-23 minutes. Let cool before serving.

No comments:

Post a Comment