Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Gazpacho -- Cold Veggie Soup (vegan, GF, raw)

This is a wonderful, crisp, refreshing veggie soup.  Different than the norm, and perfect to use up fresh produce in the summer.  Served chilled, it is great for hot nights or a nice brunch on the patio.

This recipe is an original of mine.  I've tried a number of other recipes for Gazpacho and ended up doing some mixing 'n' matching to get what I like. So feel free to mix 'n' match to get what you like.  These amounts are a bit of an estimate.  I usually use up what I have, so my "true" recipe would be more like 4 tomatoes, 1 cucumber, 1 red pepper, etc.  Use what you have, and if there's something you add in that makes it amazing let me know. I have added different olives and different peppers when I have them, just depends on who I'm feeding!

I serve it with pita chips or big, homemade croutons and a salad on the side.  If I'm cooking for a crowd, I make it with the more mild V-8and then serve it with Tabasco sauce to spice it up a bit more for those that want.

I'm making this one later in the week to take to a family get together this weekend.  I'll add a pic when I get it made. 

NANETTE'S GAZPACHO
(when prepping, chop veggies nice and small so you can get a variety in a spoonful)
This makes about 6 main dish servings, or 8 side dish size servings

1 1/2 c. tomato, peeled, seeded and finely chopped
1/2 c. celery, finely chopped
1/2 c. cucumber, peeled and finely chopped
1/2 c. green pepper, finely chopped
1/2 c. red pepper, finely chopped
1/2 c. green onions, finely chopped (include green parts)
1 bunch fresh parsley
2 cloves garlic
3 T. red wine vinegar
2 T. good olive oil
1/2 t. Worcestershire sauce
Sea Salt and Freshly cracked Black Pepper
~2 1/2 c. Spicy V-8 (or blend of regular and spicy, or your favorite Bloody Mary mix), enough to cover the veggies and to make it "soupy"

Mix all and let chill 4 hours before serving.  Garnish with green onions and/or parsley.
NOTE:  If you don't care for the texture/flavor of raw garlic, then saute just until softened in the olive oil first.

No comments:

Post a Comment