Monday, July 11, 2011

Vegan Salisbury Steak (Cheater Recipe)

I'm embarrassed to admit that my family loves those cheap freezer meal Salisbury Steaks.  I used to buy the cheapest ones they make in bulk and my family would devour them over mashed potatoes or buttered noodles.  I wouldn't even bake them, I would just throw them in the microwave. (Yes, I do that sometimes.)

Anyway, I set out to create my own version of vegan Salisbury Steak.  The boys loved it, and I admit it wasn't too bad.  They even said it tastes just like the ones they love, but I'm not sure that's a compliment! : )

I have used this sauce in the past for beef steaks or deer steaks--even served it up for guests--and always got a great response.  It is easy to make a large batch for a big dinner, so adjust the numbers accordingly.  My family devoured it faster than I could get the camera out, so no picture today.  We ate ours tonight with wild rice cooked with broccoli and carrots. I would have done noodles if I had any in the house, but I bought the rice because it sounded healthier.

One note: I had a few Boca burgers and a few of another brand in my freezer.  This was definitely better with the Boca.  I wouldn't use the other brands for this recipe because of the texture.

NANETTE'S VEGAN SALISBURY STEAKS
This makes enough sauce for 4 Boca Burgers.

1 package vegan Boca Burgers
1 cup veggie broth
3 T. bottled Teriyaki sauce
1/2 t. fresh cracked black pepper
1/2 red onion, sliced into thin rings
1/2 c. sliced mushrooms (optional)
(possibly some cornstarch and cold water if you want to thicken your sauce)

Place the broth, teriyaki sauce, pepper, onions and mushrooms (if you're using them) in a large fry pan.  Bring to a boil and let reduce for about 10 minutes uncovered.  Place the frozen Boca burgers on top of the onions and spoon a little sauce over the top.  Cover and cook on medium about 6 minutes or until the burgers are hot.  Remove the burgers from the pan to serving tray or plates. If you wish to thicken the sauce, bring to a boil and stir in about 1 t. cornstarch dissolved in 1/4 c. cold water.  Bring back to a boil and stir for about 1 minutes or until thick and bubbly. Serve burgers covered in the onions and sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment