Thursday, June 28, 2012

Summer (Cold) Oatmeal

Got this recipe from a friend and I was very hesitant to try cold oatmeal.  But I'm glad I did.  I've been veganizing and tweaking the recipe for a couple weeks to see what works best for our family.  I also looked on-line and there were many recipes for cold oatmeal, but none that really tripped my trigger. 

I know it sounds like a weird thing, but it really is a good breakfast.  It is also an easy take-along dish (in jars) for trips to visit non-vegan family or our hotel stays for swim meets.  The recipe that Kim sent to me had it made up in jars with lids.  I did that to travel, but I just make it in a tupperware for staying here at home. 

This is one of those recipes that is a make ahead and make it your own. It has a "base" recipe and then you can add your extras as you prefer.  My kids love cocoa and banana with peanut butter but I love the maple and pecan.  Apple and raisin with cinnamon was also popular.  (I used small chunks of apples, but you could use applesauce if you want.) Since it is cold, it works really well with fresh fruit.  If you try a good one, let me know!!

SUMMER (COLD) OATMEAL
Base ingredients to make 2 servings:
1/2 c. oats
3/4 c. soy milk (plain or vanilla) or coconut milk
1/2 c. soy yogurt (plain or vanilla)
2 t. flax seeds or chia seeds
2 t. or more sweetener (maple syrup, agave nectar, brown sugar, etc.)

Mix all the base ingredients together well and then stir in your extras.  Cover and let sit overnight in the refrigerator.  Lasts 3-4 days in the frig.

Extras:
2 T. baking cocoa and/or 2 T. peanut butter and/or 1 diced banana
OR
2 T. chopped pecans, use maple syrup as the sweetener
OR
1/2 apple, chopped small with 1/2 c. raisins, 1/2 t. cinnamon
OR
1/2 c. blueberries or other berries
OR
1/2 c. mango, diced small (good with coconut milk)
OR
1/2 c. peaches, diced small with cinnamon
OR
1/2 c. raspberries, add in 1/4 t. almond extract and/or 2 T. chopped almonds

1 comment:

  1. 3 Studies REVEAL How Coconut Oil Kills Belly Fat.

    This means that you literally burn fat by eating coconut fats (also coconut milk, coconut cream and coconut oil).

    These 3 researches from major medicinal journals are sure to turn the conventional nutrition world upside down!

    ReplyDelete