Monday, June 11, 2012

VEGAN PHILLY CHEESESTEAK SANDWICH

My family LOVES sandwiches, but have struggled a little bit with vegan sandwich options.  When I was at the store last week I found these wedge style cheeses and thought I'd give them a try.  I was pleasantly surprised at how well the vegan cheese melted.  It tasted good and gave a good texture to the sandwiches.  Both my kids still eat dairy cheese occasionally, but I've been trying to find a way to cut back.  This is perfect!

So my sandwich recipe isn't so much a recipe as a step-by-step.  Top your sandwich with whatever sauteed or grilled veggies you like. We had some nice mushrooms in the house so we went with it.

PHILLY CHEESESTEAK SANDWICH

Started with hoagie buns, buttered with vegan butter and topped with a little garlic and parsley.  I put these under the broiler for a couple minutes to make them nice and crusty, then topped with peppers, onions and sliced portabello mushrooms (sauteed in olive oil, a little white wine, salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic).
Topped off the veggies with Daiya Jack Style Wedge Cheese (you can buy these in Havarti and Mozzarella, too) and put under the broiler for a couple seconds to melt it.  These "wedge" cheeses actually melt very well.  It even was stringy like dairy cheese.
Then I just folded it over and cut them in half for some great sandwiches. 


My family ate these up like they were going out of style.  They were super yummy and fast.  We had ours with fresh fruit and used up some salads we had in the frig (brocolli salad and lettuce salad).  It was a great meal!  ENJOY!


No comments:

Post a Comment