Saturday, July 7, 2012

Vegan Butternut Squash Pizza

Even my husband liked this pizza, and he's not really a squash fan.  I loved it.  I think it would be great as an appetizer for parties.  Just cut into small squares. Very yummy! And I'm not just saying that because I'm the cook.



BUTTERNUT SQUASH PIZZA
1 butternut squash, steamed until soft and sliced or diced
1 white or red onion, thinly sliced
4 T. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 T. fresh or 1 t. dried rosemary
2 T. fresh or 1 t. dried thyme
Sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper, to taste
Your favorite pizza crust
Vegan cheese, optional
Crushed red pepper, optional

Place thinly sliced onion in a fry pan with 2 T. olive oil.  Cook slowly over medium-low to low heat about 10-15 minutes until onions are caramelized and only slightly browned.

Placed rosemary, thyme and minced garlic in remaining 2 T. olive oil.  Brush about 1/2 mixture over pizza crust.  Top with squash and hot onions.  If adding vegan cheese and/or crushed red pepper, do that now.  Drizzle remaining olive oil on top and cook pizza according to crust directions.

(I used a pre-made, whole-wheat crust.  I also used a little Daiya vegan cheese.  I microwaved the squash early in the day so it was ready to use when needed.  Next time I will roast the squash for a little better flavor. Onions could be made ahead of time as well.)

No comments:

Post a Comment