Saturday, July 14, 2012

VEGAN WAFFLES

I was looking through past posts this morning trying to find my favorite recipe for waffles.  But it wasn't here.  I am really shocked by that because this is a standard in our house.  I apologize for not getting it up here sooner!  Don't hate me.

We make a double batch of waffles every couple of weeks.  We eat a few and then freeze the rest for "toaster" waffles during the week.  I also cut some in strips and freeze them to use as teethers for the little ones.

We make different varieties, but always use the basic waffle recipe listed here.  I also mix mine in the blender to eliminate the texture of the oats that is sometimes a turn-off for the kids.  My husband is also particular about "chunky" waffles.  So I blend these until smooth before cooking them.  If I make a batch for just me and my kids, I will stir the ingredients in a bowl.  Some of us aren't as picky about the texture of oats.

You'll see there is very little fat added, and no added sugar except for fresh fruit.  Most people add powdered sugar or syrup to waffles, so added sugar is really just over kill.  These are sweet enough with the fruit in them that the kids will toast one up and run off with it without adding syrup or anything at all.

Waffle irons differ, so you'll have to follow the directions on your particular model.  My biggest piece of advice is to spray your iron with non-stick spray since I do have very little fat in this recipe.  You wouldn't want them to stick.

Add ins are optional, but I like to mix it up a bit so we aren't always eating plain old waffles.  I like to fold in blueberries or other berries, pecans, almonds, banana, shredded apple, etc. etc.  I also like to use fruit toppings.  Today I made a simple banana oat waffle because I needed some teethers for a little one and he hasn't been exposed to too many foods just yet.  My favorite is blueberry-maple-pecan, the kids love banana-chocolate chip, and my hubby likes just plain old boring waffles.  The apple with cinnamon is pretty popular with my daycare kids.  Sometimes we dip them in warm applesauce instead of syrup. Yum.


WAFFLE MIX (makes about twelve 4" waffles)
1 1/2 c. flour (I use whole-wheat)
1 c. oats
1 T. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
1 3/4 - 2 c. unsweetened/unflavored soy milk
2 T. vegan butter, melted OR 2 T. oil
1 t. vanilla

Add all ingredients to blender and process until smooth.  Follow waffle iron directions for cooking.

ADD-INS  (use one or more and stir into waffle mix)
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. nutmeg
1/4 c. real maple syrup
1 banana
1 apple, shredded or diced small
1 c. fresh or frozen blueberries
1 c. fresh or frozen strawberries (or other berries) chopped
1/4 c. mini chocolate chips
1/2 c. chopped walnuts, pecans or other nuts


No comments:

Post a Comment