Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Catching Up, Shouting Out and My 1-Year Vegan Anniversary

I'm in the process of catching up on a few blog posts from the past week or so.  I've been busy with life and haven't had a chance to sit down and write out the recipes, but I promise I'm working on it and should have a few up yet today.

I would like to give a shout out to a couple friends of mine who are participating in the 21-Day Vegan Kickstart program and doing a great job.  One friend is experiencing a change in overall "feeling good" and another has had significant success in weight loss and lowering blood pressure.  You ladies know who you are, and I want you to know how very proud I am!! I'm here for you if you need, but I know you'll be successful and healthful and do just fine.


Lastly, I hit my 1-year vegan mark. In that time, I've had less than 6 non-vegan meals.  I specify "meals" because I know that there are occasionally breads or pastas made with an egg or milk products out at restaurants, or there may have been a "veggie" burger that technically wasn't "vegan." I don't throw a fit at a restaurant asking a hundred questions.  I order to the best of my ability and eat what's given.  So I have KNOWINGLY eaten less than 6 non-vegan meals--pizza with cheese mostly.  I did have a cheeseburger a long time back.  I can't actually remember if that was during the past year or if it was before then.  But I think I've done a pretty good job and I'm certainly feeling the difference.

My family is still transitioning.  My son (9-years-old and a competitive swimmer) eats about 95% vegan.  He takes his lunch to school most days and gets a salad on the days he doesn't.  He might grab some cottage cheese or have a cheese stick for snack at school, but really does a great job with the food.  He occasionally gets cow's milk at school, but is on soy (or rice or coconut or almond) milk at home. My daughter (3-years-old and the picky one in the house) is still craving cheese every once in a while, but has gotten over that urge to order "just meat" when we eat out.  She is a pizza lover, but at least she orders veggie pizza when we are out to eat.  She has made the transition to soy milk from cow's milk. Both kids eat meat and/or cheese when visiting at friends' houses or at parties, etc.  My husband is completely dairy free and identifies himself as vegan now.  He recently went on a week-long hunting trip with "the boys" and ate vegan the whole week except for one meal at a small town restaurant (there were literally no good choices).  He expected to get a lot of ribbing from "the boys" about eating that way, so he prepared by packing a cooler with some good vegan food for the week.  But he was surprised at how the guys talked to him and asked questions about his veganism and were generally supportive. 

The biggest difference I've seen is a huge number of people who are now veg-curious and supportive (whereas a year ago I was mostly chastised for my choices). I encourage you to continue your research and to pray and think and talk about what might be the best choice for you and your family.  Talk to your physician.  If your physician is not supportive and helpful, try talking to a different physician!  I love our family doctor and he has been so very helpful in this past year.  He is so positive and always talks to the kids and encourages them to continue eating "good choices" each and every day.  He has also been shocked by the changes in our health, our weight, my husband's cholesterol levels and our overall commitment to this lifestyle.  Thanks, Doc!

It has been a long transition.  It didn't happen over night.  It took some praying, talking and researching and learning a new way of cooking, eating, ordering and thinking.  But I believe my family is on the right track to a lifetime of healthful eating.

Keep up the good work and call me, text me, message me, facebook me, whatever me if you need a little support or help with any recipes and ideas.

THANKS FOR A GREAT YEAR!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment