Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Spanakopita


I found a recipe for Spanakopita (Greek Spinach Pie) in a cookbook. I won't post the recipe because it's not mine.  There are a number of recipes for this in cookbooks and on the web already.  I used tofu blended with herbs and lemon juice for the "cheese" and I used fresh, chopped spinach.  Layered it all in Phyllo Dough (separated by olive oil, not butter). 

This was a good recipe, not great. I could eat it all night, but my kids weren't really fans.  That surprised me because they both love spinach.  But I think they prefer fresh or steamed and the filling in this was a little "mushy" in texture.  I liked the Phyllo dough, but it takes some work to do.

I would say this is a higher level recipe for cooks who know how to work with this specific dough.  I am curious now, though, to try a frozen version of this that I've seen at the store.  Will let you know.

The best part about finding this recipe is that now I know Phyllo is vegan. I like the layered pastry and plan to try a few test recipes with it again soon.  I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment