Monday, March 5, 2012

Maria B's Green Enchilada Soup (V and GF)

I got this recipe from my sister-in-law.  She made it for my family when we visited a few weeks ago and it was AWE (wait for it...) SOME. We all loved it so I asked her for a list of ingredients.  Well, I scratched down what was IN the soup, but didn't really write down amounts or measurements.  So I decided to give it a go this past weekend.  Turned out pretty nice, if I do say so myself.

I used dried navy beans in my recipe.  I soaked and rinsed them according to directions, then just added everything together in a pot and cooked at a simmer/low boil for about 90 minutes.  Cooking from dried beans gave the soup a creamy texture and really left no need to thicken it all.  If you use canned navy beans, go ahead and rinse them first.  You may want to thicken the final soup with a flour or cornstarch slurry.

Using the canned enchilada soup makes this super easy and fast to throw together.  Put it on if you have guests joining you for supper and no additional work is needed.  Serve it up with some corn tortillas (warmed), some corn bread or just some tortilla strips.  It has a little heat to it (even though it was all "mild") so a little salad on the side would compliment it nicely.  If you like more heat, serve it with some freshly diced jalapeno.

I had a little leftover and froze it for today's lunch.  One little day care girl ate 3 bowls of it! 

SIDE NOTE: As I was eating it, I felt inspired me to make a new enchilada dish.  I think I'll work on a new recipe for White Bean Enchiladas with Green Chili Sauce.  I'll let you know when I get a good recipe worked out for those.  But, for now, on to the soup!

GREEN ENCHILADA SOUP
1 bag (about 3 cups dried) Navy Beans, soaked and rinsed according to package directions
6 c. Veggie Broth (I used No-Chicken Broth)
2 c. water
1 large onion, diced small
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 (4.5 oz) cans mild chopped green chilis
2 t. cumin
1/2 t. oregano
1 (28 oz) can mild green enchilada sauce

Add all ingredients to soup pot.  Bring to a low boil then turn down heat.  Simmer with lid tilted for about 90 minutes or until beans are desired doneness.

Serve with fresh cilantro, lime wedges and chopped green onion for toppings.

No comments:

Post a Comment