Sunday, February 27, 2011

Baked Oatmeal Breakfast


Just a quick recipe this morning since we're off to church and a birthday party today.  I promise a note on my meeting with the nutritionalist later today or tomorrow.

My husband and son really don't care for mushy oatmeal, but both love it baked into cake/bars.  I've also made this as an afternoon snack for the day care kids.  I call this Oatmeal Cake, and who doesn't love cake?!?  My family likes it with blueberries and raspberries, and my day care kids like it with peaches.  (This morning it was blueberries and strawberries.)  Also good with pears and/or strawberries.  Serve it warm, or wrap individual servings in plastic wrap and put in frig for a quick, on-the-go breakfast bar.  I usually do a double batch in a 9 x 13" pan since it goes quickly around here.
 
BAKED OATMEAL
2 cups oatmeal (I use quick oats)
1/4 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 cup apple — shredded (with peel)
1 tsp vanilla
3/4 cup rice milk or soy milk
1/2 cup blueberries, raspberries, peaches, or fruit of your choice.

Mix wet ingredients into dry ingredients, gently fold in fresh fruit. Spread into an 8 x 8″ baking dish sprayed with pan spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 – 30 minutes. Cut into six rectangles and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment