Wednesday, February 16, 2011

If this doesn't turn you vegan, I don't know what will

There are a ton of reasons to go vegan.  The health benefits are the biggest--the impact it has on type 2 diabetes, heart disease, cholesterol, stroke and even cancer is huge.  The environmental impact--40% of the world's grain goes to feeding livestock, if 1 in 10 people around the globe stopped eating animals, it would free up enough food to feed the 1 billion hungry.  You will protect yourself from disease--all foodborne viruses, bacteria and antibiotic-resistant infections come from animals.  But even with the knowledge of all of that, you may not be convinced.  (BTW, I got my information from Kathy Freston's book Veganist.  I highly recommend it.)

So if all that doesn't turn you vegan, try this on for size:
ONE WEEK
ONE WORKOUT (and I normally do 4-6)
FOUR CENTIMETERS OFF MY BELLY
THREE CENTIMETERS OFF MY UPPER THIGH

I intended to measure at the 1 and 3 month marks when I started.  But I can already feel a difference.  I don't feel bloated.  I don't feel "tight" in my jeans.  I know 4 cm is not an amazing amount, but it is something.  And it feels good.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say I'm probably not the first mom who is disgusted by that "muffin top" I've had since giving birth.  I can do 300 crunches a day, so I know my abs are strong.  I can run and run, but that belly bulge just didn't want to budge.  I'm shocked at how I feel after just one week.  And it totally motivates me to keep up the process.

I've been vegetarian-ish (yes, that's a word) for a long time.  If you are a tried and true carnivore, you will probably see and feel an even bigger difference.  So I challenge you.  Try it for one week and see how you feel.  But remember that going vegan is more than just avoiding animal products.  Be sure to eat a wide variety of veggies and fruits and legumes and whole-grains.  Use healthy oils and avoid the butter and eggs and cheese.  Let me know how you do!

(Only had a couple minutes to blog this morning, but don't worry.  I will post a few menus and recipes later today.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment