Monday, February 21, 2011

Crispy Tofu and Steamed Veggies


My whole family has the cold-cough-crud and is pretty grumpy and miserable.  I made a quick supper tonight that was mild and a little sweet, just to get the kids to eat. It was a pretty good dish, and my husband (who normally doesn't care for tofu) really liked the crisp texture to the fried tofu.  I have to agree it was a good way to have it.

Tonight's menu was Brown Rice, Crispy Tofu and Steamed Veggies served with Edamame and Pineapple Chunks.

Listed is the mix of steamed veggies that I used tonight.  Feel free to use whatever you like, or just substitute in a frozen bag of mixed veggies (stir-fry style works great) for a very fast meal.  I made Minute Rice (brown rice), put the veggies on top, then topped with the crispy tofu.  I drizzled teriyaki sauce (I made it, but only because I didn't have a bottle in the frig) on top of the whole thing.  I steamed the edamame just until warmed through, lightly salted.  The kids love it because they like to pop the beans out!  (Buy it in bags in the freezer section.)  I also added some of the pineapple juice to the teriyaki to thin it out and sweeten it a little.  Sprinkle a little toasted sesame seeds on top just for fun!

CRISPY TOFU and STEAMED VEGGIES
Tofu:
1 (12 ounce) package Extra Firm Tofu, drained, patted dry and cut into cubes or thin slices
3 T. Cornstarch
Oil for frying
Hoisin or Teriyaki sauce.

Heat enough oil so that the tofu will be half-way submerged.  Dredge tofu in cornstarch.  Fry tofu in hot oil for 3 to 5 minutes on each side, or until crispy.  Drain on paper towels.

Veggies:
1 head Broccoli, cut into florets
2 large Carrots, cut into matchsticks
1 Zucchini, sliced
1 small bag Sugar Snap Peas
1 tomato, cut into wedges
Steam all except tomato until desired crisp-tender texture.  Add tomato at last minute just enough to heat.

Drizzle entire dish with hoisin or teriyaki sauce and sprinkle with toasted sesame seeds or peanuts (optional). Serve with hot sauce and more soy sauce to season at the table.

No comments:

Post a Comment