Friday, February 11, 2011

Starting My Voyage

So this is my first post as I start my voyage to veganism. I have a few goals I hope to accomplish with this blog.  First, I hope to keep myself motivated (with your support).  Secondly, I hope to use this as a means of accountability.  Third, I hope to keep track of foods--recipes that work for my family and hopefully for yours--so that I don't forget and feed my family something they hate (and thus turning them off of this).  Lastly, I hope to keep track of my health and body and how this lifestyle change is making a difference to me.

Please note that NONE of my goals include sucking you into this lifestyle.  I'm not trying to push it on anyone.  I will share the benefits and some information as I research.  You can make your own choice.  Also, I'm not an extremist in any sense.  So I'm not going to throw a fit if I come to your house and the food has cheese on it or eggs in it.  I plan to continue to eat what's served to me when I am out and about--including a big juicy steak if that's all that's on the menu.  I will opt for the vegan/vegetarian choice when possible.  But please don't stress out and never invite me to eat with you!

This is also not some sort of political stand against meat farmers or egg producers.  I want to make a more mindful choice of what I eat--where it came from, how did it get to me, what went into producing this food? It is, again, a personal choice of mine.  Make your choice for you.

Those of you that know me well know that I have dipped my toes in vegetarianism on and off throughout my life.  I seem to just feel better when I go through these phases, but I eventually slip back into my old carnivorous ways.  I'm really hoping I can make a long term commitment to a healthier lifestyle.  My family has a history of stroke, heart disease, high cholesterol and type 2 diabetes.  My husband's family has all that and cancer, too.  My kids are genetically prone to health problems.  I hope to fight off a little of that by giving them a base lifestyle to build upon.  That being said, they are humans with their own opinions and tastes.  When we go out to eat, they can make their own choices (with a little guidance).  If my family wants to eat meat or fried foods or drink soda on an occasional basis, that is fine with me.  But hopefully we all reap the benefits of a plant-based diet.

I'm new to blogging.  Your comments and opinions are important to me.  If you want more recipes and photos, I'll do that.  If you want more scientific information, I'll find it.  If you have questions, ask.  I'll be as straight up and honest as I always am.

Lastly, I'd love to have you join me on this voyage if you feel so inclined and inspired to give it a try.  We'll voyage together and figure it out as we go.

I will post again later today with an update on my first few days and will share a couple new recipes. Thanks!!

No comments:

Post a Comment