Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Mexi-Stuffed Peppers

I had some leftover Mexican rice from supper the other night and some fresh peppers growing in our little box garden.  So, WA-LA! Stuffed peppers!  (Side note: one of the peppers is from our "super hot" plant, but we didn't remember which one it was after we got them inside.  We'll have to wait and see who the lucky winner is at supper!)

This isn't so much a recipe, so I'll just walk through it quickly with some pics. 

MEXI-STUFFED PEPPERS
Step 1: Peppers
I cut the tops off the sweet peppers and sliced the banana peppers down the side, then pulled out the ribs and seeds (be careful of pepper oils on your fingers, you may want to wear gloves).  Use whatever kind of peppers you like.

Step 2: Stuffing
I used leftover rice, corn, red beans, diced tomatoes and some browned Soyrizo (fake chorizo that's actually pretty good). 

Step 3: Stuff It
(do I really need to explain this?!?)

Step 4: Top it
I used the vegan cheese substitute here because that's what I had in the house.  Use what you like.

Step 5: Bake it
I baked these at about 375 degrees for 30-40 minutes.

Step 6: Sauce it (optional)
I made my friend Casey's hot sauce because I love it.  You could use any enchilada sauce (red or green), cheese sauce, or salsa.  Or you could just eat them without the sauce.  I like to serve the peppers on top the sauce just because it looks prettier that way.

Step 7: Eat it!

No comments:

Post a Comment