Monday, August 29, 2011

My kid cooked tonight!




My hubby and I were busy staining our deck this evening when the kids asked, "What's for supper?"  I told them I wasn't sure and that they'd have to wait just a bit until I could get to a stopping point.  My son, Eli, says, "I'll cook!" We talked about it a little bit, I listed off a few ingredients we had around the house, and he finally just decided he would rummage around and see what looked good.

It's no secret I'm proud of my kids.  I'm in awe every day at how great they are.  So I don't know why I surprised to find such an amazing supper cooked 100% by my 9-year-old son.  That kid rocks.  Seriously.  And not just because he's mine.  He really, really, truly rocks.
He made this meal with minimal help and supervision. He did come outside a couple times to ask a few questions:

"What temperature for the garlic bread?" 
"Is it pecans or walnuts that I like with green balls?" 
 "What's that brown tomato sauce called?" 

I answered and checked in a couple times, but this was his masterpiece.  And, honestly, it was one of the best meals I've ever eaten!  

Tonight's menu was Corn on the Cob, Tomato and Basil Salad, Brussels Sprouts with Walnuts, and Garlic Bread. 

The corn was buttered (vegan, of course). The salad had tomatoes from a friend's garden with fresh basil he picked himself, salt and pepper, olive oil and balsamic vinegar (that's the brown tomato sauce).  The Brussels sprouts were cleaned and tossed with walnuts, butter, salt and pepper.  And the garlic bread had butter, garlic, and parsley he picked himself. 

Yes, I let him use the super sharp tomato knife and I let him use the gas stove and the oven.  As my hubby says, "How else will he learn knives are sharp and fire is hot?" 
 
Eating vegan is not only healthy, but it really is quick and easy and very tasty.  This meals proves it.  A few simple ingredients made with a whole bunch of love makes a pretty great meal. I am so very blessed to have such a great family. And I'm so proud of my little sweet potato!  THANKS, BIG GUY!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment