Thursday, August 11, 2011

Quick Pickles

Wondering what to do with all those garden cucumbers?  Quick pickles are yummy and easy.  These amounts listed are "eyeballing" amounts--meaning I use about that much.  Sometimes I like them sweeter so I add more sugar, sometimes I add onion and more garlic to give them a bite.  I used dried dill today because I didn't grow any dill this year. Use fresh if you've got it.  Make them up an hour or two before serving and chill them.

QUICK PICKLES
4 medium size cucumbers, sliced into rounds or at an angle
1 t. dried dill, or a nice size bunch of fresh dill
1 bay leaf
1 c. white vinegar
4 t. white sugar
2 t. mustard seed
2 t. salt
2 cloves garlic, smashed

Place sliced cucumbers, dill and bay leaf in a heat proof bowl (preferably not plastic since it picks up the vinegar smell). 

Put vinegar, sugar, mustard seed, salt and garlic in a small saucepan and bring to a simmer.  Let simmer about 5 minutes and then carefully pour over the cucumbers.  Let cool, chill and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment