Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Nanette's Breakfast Cookies (scones)

I have tried many recipes for "healthy" cookies for my kids and my daycare kids.  This one works well and makes a ton.  Freezes great, so I love to make a huge batch and then just have them ready to go when I need a quick breakfast or snack.  Change up your optional additions to fit your family's tastes.  These end up much more like a scone in texture, so you can shape them into scones if you like.  I love them for dipping into my coffe or hot tea.

Breakfast cookies--some baked with cinnamon and sugar on top, some with cinnamon glaze after baking.

These are also very high in fiber and extremely low in fat.  Enjoy!

NANETTE'S BREAKFAST COOKIES
1-1 ¼  cups brown sugar
2 1/2 cups rolled oats
4 cups flour (I use whole-wheat, you can do half wheat, half white if you like)
1 tablespoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup applesauce (or more)
2 tablespoons water (or more)
3 servings egg replacer
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 apples, finely grated
3/4 cup raisins, optional
1/4 cup chopped walnuts, optional
1/3 cup chopped dried apricots, optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.

In a large bowl, stir together the oats, flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and cinnamon. Make a well in the center and pour in the canola oil, applesauce, water, egg replacer, grated apple and vanilla. Mix until well blended. These make a chunky, somewhat dry dough. You may need to stir in a little more water or applesauce as needed just to bring it all together. Stir in the raisins, walnuts and apricots. Roll dough into golf-ball sized balls. Place cookies 2 inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheets and flatten to 1/2 tall with wet hands. These cookies do not flatten very much while baking. I also like to sprinkle mine with a little cinnamon and sugar on top before baking (or drizzle with glaze afterwards).

In the preheated oven, bake 8 minutes for chewier cookies (undercook and leave on the tray to cool) or 10 to 20 minutes for dry cookies (more like a scone texture the longer you cook them). Cookies will not get crisp. Remove from cookie sheets to cool on wire racks.  Refrigerate or freeze.

NOTES:  I like the texture of whole-wheat flour, but it may take some getting used to if your family hasn’t had it a lot. I have also added wheat germ or flax (and add a little more applesauce).

I like these best with apples and raisins, or I’ve used dried blueberries and slivered almonds, or craisins and almonds. I really like to use the dried Fruit Bits that has a mixture of lots of fruits.  This makes a GINORMOUS batch, but they freeze very well.  I just take a few out and move them to a Ziploc at night so they are ready to grab quick in the morning. 

No comments:

Post a Comment