Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Potatoes and Cabbage with White Beans

I saw a similar recipe to this on a vegan support group on Facebook.  I thought it looked good, but made a few changes to the ingredient list and the cooking process to make it more appealing to my family.  It seems a little weird to think that my kids would like cabbage, beans and onions all mixed up together.  But my family of four ate two whole fry pans full of this!  They loved it.  It was a great one-pot meal that I served with a little fresh fruit.  It was warm and comforting and very, very good.  They insisted that I get this one on the blog right away and get it on the meal plan again soon.

I'm sorry I didn't get a picture yet.  I was afraid if I walked out of the kitchen to grab the camera they would have it all gone before I could eat!

 POTATOES, CABBAGE, WHITE BEAN ONE POT
(amounts may vary slightly depending on what you have on hand, this amount was enough for about 6 large servings)

2 large potatoes, cleaned and cut into 1/2" cubes
olive oil and/or vegan butter for browning

1 large onion (any variety), diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 cans white beans (Cannelini or navy), drained and rinsed
1/2 of a large head of green cabbage, sliced thinly
1/4 - 1/2 c. white wine
2-3 t. Italian seasoning
Salt and fresh cracked black pepper to taste

In a large fry pan, heat the butter and/or oil.  Add potato cubes and cook until golden brown and crispy on all side.  Set aside.

Add a little more oil/butter to pan and cook onion and garlic until soft but not brown.  Add in beans, cabbage, white wine and seasonings.  Stir to coat cabbage, then cover and cook about 5 minutes over medium heat until cabbage is softened.  Toss together with the potatoes and re-season with salt and pepper to taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment