Monday, October 15, 2012

Vegan Hashbrown and Sausage Scramble

I've been asked to make a breakfast casserole for a swim meet this weekend so I'm testing out a few recipes.  I found some for actual casseroles that you bake up and then end up needing to be cut into serving sizes.  But I wasn't too impressed.  Then I started thinking about my favorite pre-vegan breakfast options. 

I always loved those skillet platters at the restaurants.  They taste great at about 2:15 in the morning when you've been kicked out of whatever establishment you were cruising the night before. : )  Anyway, the skillet idea inspired me to make a simpler dish.

I made a simple tofu scramble with vegan sausage and hash browns.  Then I made a ranchero sauce for the side. I loved it and the child care kids loved it.  It even tasted good sober!  Amazing.



I browned up some GimmeLean ground sausage.  Then I made the tofu scramble by melting a little vegan butter in the fry pan (same pan, I actually left the sausage in it and just added tofu to it).  I crumbled in extra firm tofu and cooked it until it started to brown.  Then I seasoned it with a shake of turmeric (for color), Lawry's seasoning salt, onion powder, salt and pepper.  I layered the "eggs" and sausage in a casserole pan.

Then I used the same pan to cook up my hash browns (as directed on the package) and just put them on top of the scramble.  This was good with shredded hash browns, but I think the next time I'll use country style potatoes.

For the ranchero sauce I sauteed up some green peppers and onion in the fry pan and then added in roasted red peppers and a little pre-made red enchilada sauce I had leftover from the weekend. There are a million ranchero sauce recipes on the web or you can use your favorite salsa or taco sauce.

Easy and yummy.  I think if I make this for my own family I will add in spinach, peppers and mushroom, etc. etc. to the scramble.  But I was trying to make a "plain" version for the test. 

Good stuff!

No comments:

Post a Comment